BCD has a strong knowledge of payroll legislation and the impact that legislation has on employers in Ontario.
The Employment Standards Act, 2000 and the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 2011 set out in detail the things an employer must and must not do and the reasons why. However, these are not the easiest documentation to read! We have the knowledge to guide and protect our clients.
The following is a list of some of the ongoing and more pressing issues we see when overseeing our clients' payroll needs.
Employment Standards Act
- what defines an employee from a subcontractor
- what are the rules for hours of work (daily, and by pay cycle)
- what are Ontario's current minimum wages
- what are the rules for paying overtime and are there any exceptions
- what are the 9 statutory holidays in Ontario
- what is the formula for paying statutory holidays to employees in Ontario
- what is the minimum requirement for paid vacation leave and when is it paid
- when completing a Record of Employment what is the definition of Lay-Off, Dismissal or Quit
Workplace Safety Insurance Board
- what is the definition of a "worker"
- what information needs to be posted for all employees to see
- what is the "green book" and where can it be purchased
- what new rules in force as of January 1 2013 that affect all construction trades